Bell's Palsy

Bell's Palsy is a condition thought to be caused by a virus in which one-sided facial paralysis occurs due to inflammation of the facial nerve.

Outcomes for Bell's Palsy

Left untreated, 84% of patients with Bell's palsy will have spontaneous recovery of their facial function to a normal or near-normal state. In this instance, the first signs of recovery usually occur within the first three weeks. The remaining 16% have moderate to poor recovery. These are the patients we hope to help with treatment.

Those patients who show their first signs of recovery within three weeks after onset of the paralysis fall within a favorable group for facial nerve recovery. Those patients who present with a weakness where there is still some facial motion preserved as opposed to a complete paralysis where there is no motion also fall within a favorable group for facial nerve recovery.